Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

1.05.2007

Picture Caption: New Mexico National Guard Sgt. James Lombard carries a bale of hay to a waiting Black Hawk helicopter on a ranch north of Clines Corners, N.M., Jan. 3, 2006.

Rescuers Race To Save Snowbound Livestock

Hundreds of hay bales fell from the sky across Colorado's rangeland as military helicopter and cargo plane crews delivered food to cattle that have been stranded by the heavy snow and high drifts for a week.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/04/national/main2329379.shtml#ccmm

You might have to read that blurb/article a second time. Let the words process in your brain.

National Guard...helicopter...cattle...snowbound...



This is one of the few times that I'm glad I was listening to Frank Ski V-103 in the morning in Atlanta. I usually all of the ghettoness, but from time to time, Frank has something to say for the community. He can bring some light to the people's vision in a lot of areas, and he did the same for me on Thursday morning. (Trust that admitting that I liked Frank took a lot out of me because I'm usually one of his chief haters because the name-dropping drives me crazy.)

The National Guard was sent out in the snow to save some cattle. All of the lives God gives are important in some capacity, right? But we weren't that important after Hurricane Katrina struck in '05. Folks were stranded for 3 days before some real help came out to them. I will be fair and saw that there have been weeks of issues after the snowstorms in Colorado, but the National Guard was flown out to find feed for cattle. Is this hitting home for anyone?

BTW, I'm pretty colorblind, so I don't wanna make this a "George Bush doesn't like black people" issue. I'm not one of the people that drives me crazy with their talk of how the White man is to blame for everything, but Hurricane Katrina's effects are still being felt since there are still so many Nawlins folks who still aren't home. Trust that I taught a lot of them when I was teaching last year.

That picture is almost like a slap in the face to see Federal Help getting out there for animals that cost $1200 each yet it's still a struggle to get help for human beings. I'm just saying.....

BTW, I'm really trying to have shorter blog entries...every once in a while. Can you tell?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very insighful commentary my dear friend - i didn't catch this story on V-103 but it is an atrocity to think that all beings (human and/or animal) aren't given timely response to a disaster which threatens livelihood. Besides, would it be safe to eat the beef of said cattle whom were saved - just a thought. On my way to Chik Fil A (LOL)

Supachica

PS: I went to check out BM dresses this weekend - you're going to love it - check your mail soon!

sunshyne said...

Ain't that some stuff? I wonder if this is a protest by Nawlins folks. If you won't treat us right, we gonna kill ourselves then! I heard on Tom Joyner that there have been 9 deaths in the 8 days of the new year. Sick.

We gonna have to talk aboutBridesMaid dresses. (Y'd you say BM to a clown?) We've already had the talk, but I'm hoping your friends' hopes and dreams were addressed.

Anonymous said...

I kinda feel the same way about Frank Ski.....he seems like such a groupie...he plays both sides of the fence too, and by that i mean he gets really ghetto and ignorant, then the next day he is hobknobbing with elected officials. But i just sit back and let him do what he does.