Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

10.05.2006

My family is freakin' hilarious! I really mean that. We laugh, talk, play, joke, laugh some more, and have a good time together. I'm glad I was born into the family so I can't marry into it, but I'm so glad that I have the parents and siblings I have.

From the outside looking in, my friends and my brother's friends think that we have the coolest parents on Earth. And we do. What other parents can have a conversation with the baby boy that goes, "That motherfucker pissed me off so bad. I just wanted to say, 'Fuck you,' and get fired," and Mama responds, "Yeah! Fuck him!" We've even had friends stare at dismay and disbelief upon their first visit.

It's a shocker, but you get used to a Mama that chain smokes and cusses like a sailor and a Dad that makes fun of any and everybody within reach. Dad once told a friend of NOPI's, "I'm coming downstairs to turn on the air. I would ask you to do it, but I know you need to drag a chair over to reach that high, and I don't want you hurting yourself to do all that." That came from outta NOWHERE. Mama can keep up with most of the dances out today. I still remember catching her in the living room about 10 years ago doing the Bankhead Bounce. She was pretty good with her little self. That's where I got my dancing genes. Dad is old school fo' yo' ass. He carries a knife on him wherever he goes. Being without his knife just isn't an option. He'll pull it out faster than Lil Kim can run to the plastic surgeon. There's a bunch of stories in the family involving Dad and his knives. He doesn't mess with guns at all. He's never explained why, but if we think alike as much as I think we do, then he'd probably rather maim someone with a knife than to kill someone with a gun. Makes sense to me.

I really do love my folks, and we're entering this not so playful phase where I easily say, "I love you." We still have our fun where Dad calls me his "fat baby girl", and me and Mama always disagree and playfully fuss about something. It's just what we do in my family. Saying those three words just don't come as easily to us. It never has.

The first time I heard my Mama say those words was one time when me, Mama, lil bro NOPI, and my big brother, Eddie Cooler (that was a HS nickname...RIP) were in the kitchen after one of EC's visits. This was about 12-15 years ago, and EC had moved out a long time ago. EC was on his way out the door when Mama easily said, "I love you." Nonprovoked by a hug or mushy lovefest or a Family Matters moment on TV. Just out of the blue. So out of the blue that it through Eddie Cooler off and he bumped into the trash can by the door. He turned around with that devious but this time confused smile on his face. "What?" he asked. "I said, 'I love you,'" Mama repeated. "Oh," he said. Then, he returned to the middle of the kitchen floor still looking like someone called him a skinny white chick. (He was a stocky caramel boy that grew into a chunky but handsome caramel man with the most amazing hair.) When the confusion wore off, he and Mama hugged. Me and NOPI stared at each other because we hadn't recalled seeing Mama hugging on us since we were teens. Then, we all shook it off and hugged on one another while saying, "I love you."

It was a heartwarming moment that I cherish. We don't have too many of those moments in my family to this day. The last truly heartwarming moment between my younger brother and I was when my big brother died. I had to drive home from college about 1.5 hours away. They wouldn't tell me why I had to come home, but I had to come home. I figured someone had died by the time I pulled into the yard which was littered with cars. We had visitors from time to time, but not that many. When everyone else went away after I was informed, NOPI and I were outside under the carport by the kitchen door. He hadn't looked that sad ever. But NOPI and Eddie Cooler were pretty tight as brothers despite the 10 year age gap. I loved my big brother, but we never had that deep relationship that some brothers and sisters have. NOPI looked at me in the dark illuminated by the light from the kitchen. He simply told me in a breaking voice, "Don't ever leave me." We hugged very tightly for quite a few seconds. I told him, "As long as God is willing, I'll never leave you."

The best thing about my family is that we get pissed off at each other a lot. Despite that, we got each others' back. Most of the time. NOPI just jumped my car off this morning when the battery died on me. He didn't have to wake up from his deep sleep for me, but he woke up and barely complained. I even called him later with a question, and he wasn't phased. Now, that Gemini ain't nobody's angel, but he was pretty cool today. We're all pretty cool for one another at this point.

So, if I were ever asked if I would trade my family, I'd instantly say, "Oh hell naw!" I'd be bored with anyone else.

No comments: