Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

8.30.2007

What I have in common with Michael Vick

Now may not be the best time every to find what you may have in common with this man. I wanna give him a "Bless his heart," but there's no way I can. I know I've made my fair share of mistakes and bad judgements in life. I haven't been perfect in any way. It would be asinine to expect anyone else to be perfect, even when they're paid very well to be nearly flawless when performing in front of thousands. In that respect, relating to Vick is easy because I still recall being on that step show stage in front of 3,500, and the judges were looking for flawless perfection in our movements, steps, flavor, and personality.

But the difference is I did it for a $2,000 first prize which went directly back to my chapter's treasury. My team's effort was a work of love where we gave our all with unselfishness because we were stepping in the name of our sorority. Dozens of sorors believed in us and showed up to the show, so we had to represent Sigma in the best light possible.


But Mr. Vick.... I just don't understand what motivates anyone to partake in illegal activities that risk your NINE FIGURE contract, the opulent lifestyle you're used to, or your freedom. I love waking up without someone telling me. I love that I can eat what I want when I want it. Upset would not be the word to describe my feelings if I couldn't get behind the wheel and drive. The only person I have to answer to is God, not the warden or that head dude who runs the cell block and wants to try the fresh meat. Personally, the dog fighting was heinous because dogs are wonderful creatures that shouldn't be abused and forced to damn near kill each other for our entertainment. I don't know if Vick should lose his entire eligibility to play football forever over this, but damn, Mike! You gotta pay the consequences because you made some dumb choices. Plain and simple. I wonder if his face looks like that all the time knowing how jacked up things are because he felt that Vick was invincible and would never fall flat on his face.

My dad and I got to arguing about this. My dad is a man that proves Chris Rock right everytime: the most racist person in the world is an old black man. Dad isn't really "old" at 55, but he's seen a lot growing up in middle Georgia and moving to Atlanta as a teen.

"Them crackas set Vick up. They didn't have to do him like that."

I'm looking at Dad like he's crazy. "Why it gotta be white people that set him up? Did they make his dumb ass fight some dogs?"
Dad says, "The white man always trying to bring blacks down, especially blacks with all the money."

I have to admit that in a lot of cases, Dad's theory rings true, but not in this case. His last comment had pissed me off, too. "Well, if Vick has all the money, and he knows someone's looking out for him just because he's black, why the hell would he put a bullseye on his back for them to hit their target? They could turn any little thing he does into a controversy. This dumb ass indulges in a controversial past time that is not a good look to a lot of people. Tell me how the hell white folks set him up for that?"

Dad stopped talking then because that isht was true. I'm just not one of the black folks that blindly supports what someone does because he's black. If you doing some nasty dirt, my name is not going behind it. Just because it's hot in the streets does not mean I have to support it. So just because Vick was making millions on top of millions because he was able to do what he was good at, that doesn't mean I'm going to blindly support his poor decision making skills. I feel the same about Busta Rhymes not cooperating with the police to find who killed his so-called close friend. I sho as hell don't care for Young Joc's song about the "CoffeeShop". Great analogy, but you got a kiddie type hook and melody talking about slanging. Get outta here with that mess!

Nonetheless, Vick should have a fair chance to redeem himself. In the meantime, maybe hundreds of thousands of kids everywhere got some kind of wakeup call from the Vick Debacle. Maybe they actually see that you can't just do any old reckless thing and get away with it. Maybe they finally know that if a famous athlete has consequences for his actions, they'll definitely have to face the music. Maybe they'll closely evaluate their decisions so they won't have to be called "The Biggest Loser" like Vick is right now.


Speaking of "The Biggest Loser", that'll be my title in about 2 months. We're having a "Biggest Loser" contest at our job, and determination has got me focused on being the winner. There's a $400 pot and an IPod Nano for the winner, and even the runner-up will win a Nano. This contest has finally provided the motivation I ned to monitor my eating habits more closely and map out a workout plan that's workable. Walking during a work break and/or lunch has even crept into the plans. It'll be great if the plan works, but good choices have to be made consistently to get the results. A plan means nothing without implementation and execution. So, hopefully, I'll have the "Biggest Loser" label in common with Michael Vick by the third week of October when we officially weigh in again. If I'm not, then I'll just be redeemed with the knowledge that I did my best and didn't hurt anybody including myself with my efforts.


Wish me luck. Pray for Vick.

No comments: