Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

11.21.2006

Do you know Michael Richards?

Michael is such a common name, but Michael Richards is no where near common. Some of you already recognized the name from one of your favorite shows from the 90s. I only know him by the name Kramer, and I think plenty of you are in the same boat with me. Honestly, I may be the whitest black girl that some people know because I can happily and completely sing the theme song to "Friends", but I've never gotten the humor from "Seinfeld". I definitely won't get it after what Michael Richards did.

If you didn't know Michael Richards BKA Kramer before November 20, then you definitely learned who he was on November 20. If you still don't know what I'm talking about, follow this link:http://www.tmz.com/2006/11/20/kramers-racist-tirade-caught-on-tape/.

(I can't believe the brilliance and gall at making us watch a commercial before getting to the news we want.)

Later, I watched Michael Richards speak during Jerry Seinfeld's interview on "The Late Show With David Letterman". Interesting that his best defense is to talk on a late night show to apologize to millions of people. Well, I listened to him and was glad that did not pull a "Mel Gibson" and blame it on alcohol or drugs.

I realized that he's sincerely apologetic for saying what he said while the cameras were rolling. He's really sorry that it was broadcast on the world wide web for anyone to see. Kramer might have been sorry for saying such terrible, racist things, but Michael Richards was just getting warmed up. How could you not be racist to say that had it been fifty years ago, his black heckler's body would have been on a pitchfork? Michael Richards might not have a good sense of history, but he knew what he was thinking, and it all just rolled off his tongue just as naturally as water rolls off a turtle's shell.

Although he seemed shaken and upset, I really could not belive his apology because he referred to black people as "Afro-Americans". Twice. We haven't used that name in about 30 years. So, what Michael Richards wants the public to believe is he has respect for my race, my culture, and my heritage, but he doesn't have enough respect for us to learn that we've been African-American or at least Black for several years now? Not that his respect for us was something that Michael Richards mentioned. He definitely didn't make that classic claim that one of his best friend's was Black. He just claimed on national television that's he's not a racist, and he plans to confront what lead to this outpouring of rage.

Plainly put, Michael Richards is a racist. He's just stuck in Hollywood where it's politically incorrect and possibly a career killer to be racist. Well, he wants to move forward with his career, but hopefully he's on his way out of his career.

Would I have been satisfied if he had come out and plainly said, "Those niggers pissed me off talking during my show! I'm glad I said what I said! It's me! Now what?" Maybe. He would've been real. Instead, he's shedding crocodile tears. This should not be considered the beginning of an Oscar Run by the Academy of Arts and Sciences. Hopefully (and probably naively), his real fans will see him for who he really is, and they'll be real with themselves and just move on like Jerry Seinfeld.

No comments: