Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

1.16.2008

A box of Ferrero Rocher. A carton of Edy's Mint and Cookies ice cream (the whipped kind with 1/2 the fat). Oatmeal cookies. Reduced sugar Froot Loops (don't really miss the regular sugared ones). Even peanut butter and strawberry jelly.

I opted to have a mango for a late night snack. It may not have been the best fruit choice in the middle of the night, but it was better than the above. I have to give myself a pat on the back for that choice.

All of the right choices haven't been made yet, but I still intend to shed pounds or at least be healthier again. I miss working out, and my clothes are fitting snugger in the unflattering sense. The one thing that will make this difficult is my fiancee. He's not sabotaging me intentionally, but he has twice told me, "I don't want you lose any weight." It floored me the first time he said the words that every fat girl wants to hear a man say about her. But I've embraced the idea that he loves all of my full-figured self with my imperfections that he finds to be beautiful.

But I find myself embracing his words to the point that I'm being a bit of a pig in the sweets department. That's really not acceptable when I know good and well that I want to be healthier.

What's really unacceptable and should be a motivator for all is what I saw on Monday's Oprah. Actually, that's what I was watching late Wednesday night thanks to my Comcastic DVR. Where have you been all my life? The show topic was the obligatory January weight loss discussion. She gave a variety of statistics. One fact is that Goliath Casket, Inc. generates great money for the owners because so many obese people are dying. Goliath Casket said they sold 33 extra-large caskets in their first year; they are well beyond that in these years.

When I saw those caskets that measured up to 54" wide, my heart dropped. Although my weight has stayed in a general area for some time, I could wind up in that same type of coffin if I don't get in control of myself. Knowing that brought tears to my eyes that didn't fall and a sadness that I never recognized. I'm definitely not large enough for such a wide casket today, but something has to change so it won't have to be something for my loved ones to consider in the future.

I know the answers. I just have to follow through. Bottom line. In the meanwhile, I have to plan for my nuptials.

No comments: