Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

6.21.2007

Proud of my progress

There was something in my personal inbox at work. Not completely unusual, but I was intrigued. I went to the inbox, and the preview screen immediately showed all of this pretty writing with a pretty background. It's not like it was an evite to a hot event, but I was still intrigued. When the full document opened, it showed me various ice cream images. I read the writing a little closer and saw the fuschia doom my company just brought to me: "An Afternoon Ice Cream Social". Today at 3 PM.

WTH??? You've got to be kidding me. I just started being a good girl again trying to refocus my workout habits and eating habits. My lunch bag was full of healty sandwiches (just two) with lettuce, tomato, onion, and 2% pepperjack cheese (at least twice the price of the Kroger brand regular cheese). Sista trying to progress, and you want to reward the company with an ice cream social? Damn.

What to do? Ice cream is a very special treat, and it was free, too??? Are you serious?

Well, goody for your girl. I watched the clock approach 3 PM. That's when all of the IT guys (ok, there's that Indian chick over there, too, but she's a sweetheart) got excited and jumped up for ice cream. Everyone was so excited about this treat. It was almost like an end of year party in a second grade classrom, except we were in one of the conference rooms. All kinds of quarts of Edy's, Breyers, and Mayfield jsut waiting on people to dive in.

"Come on in! I'm not waiting to serve you," our office manager prompted. I only shook my head and walked away. But I didn't want to feel completely left out of the fun. After all, even the suavest dude in the IT department was running around like a giddy kid because of that frozen treat. I had to have a peice of the euphoria. So I kindly took myself to the kitchen, got my sugar-free (Splenda made from sucralose cuz I done told y'all about that damn aspartame) Mint Chocolate Jell-O pudding cup, and walked into the conference room to confront my current devil. Cookies and Cream, Butter Pecan, Moose Tracks, plain old creamy delicious Vanilla, and more. But yo' girl was really on point because I just walked in, got a plastic spoon, and walked out.

Could I top that? Some people went back for seconds meaning there was more left. I even sat facing three others eating ice cream in my face. But I happily ate my pudding while they enthusiastically pigged out on their ice cream. Yay for me!

Even cooler than that: there was still left over ice cream on Wednesday and Thursday, and I never touched it. Never even looked for it. Why? Because it's about damn time I show some discipline. There's so much out there that I want, but I can't have it if I want to continue to eat any old kind of way. Ice cream cannot be eaten just because it's being offered. Strength, courage, and wisdom have to play a role somewhere in my life, and my fitness goals would be a great place to start. If I can maintain that kind of discipline, who knows what else I can do in other areas?

So a big middle finger goes to Edy's for their rich and creamy Cookies and Cream because I didn't eat any on Tuesday. I'll pull back that finger when I get down to another size.

No comments: