Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

10.13.2007

I've had a blogging block (not break) for a pretty good reason. See...I find myself caught up in trying to create a blog that's noteworthy or at least a favorite for a few people. Most importantly, I like being able to express myself about myself. Not that I'm a self-absorbed narcissist that spends all of my time in the mirror worrying about me!me!ME! I really do have other thoughts on my mind about the world today. But I struggle with expressing thoughts about ME knowing that there are so many important and critical things going on in the world.


  • It's a damn shame that Mychal Bell was freed from jail only to be put back in again. It's like the judge is telling all Americans, "Oh! Y'all think y'all did something coming down to Jena and marching? Let me show you that y'all ain't did s***!" (Initially, my true intentions were to get involved in the Jena 6 movement by blogging about the latest happenings. But then things would get crazy at work, and I didn't get the opportunity to blog when the news was fresh. C'est la vie.)

  • Nooses keep magically appearing on college campuses, but these incidents aren't limited to just the South. Who knew there were rednecks at Columbia Univeristy?

  • Georgia is having a serious drought even in October. It's as if God said, "I'm tired of y'all building over the glorious land I provided. So why should I give moisture to what you're going to reconstruct anyway?" According to an interview on V-103 earlirer this week with Mayor Shirley Franklin, Atlanta may soon have to deal with water the same way Las Vegas does.


Now, I am a conservationist and psuedo environmentalist by nature. I am who I am. I really do believe that turning off my shower water for about 2 - 3 minutes while washing my body can make a small difference. The suds and dirt being washed off can be delayed. It's not like the dirt's going to seep back into my skin for another day.


But at the same time I know that I feel I can contribute to saving the earth, I had to realize that I'm not a civil rights activist. It's easy to recognize that we still have so far to overcome with all the injustice that we're suffering. But I'm not a political pundit. I'm not trying to be one of the new civil rights figures. I'll be glad to help out, but I don't know if I'm supposed to step up to be "The Voice" of the movement. I want to do more, but it's almost seems impossible to want to take life so nonchalant when there's global warming, an endless and reasonless war in Iraq, and this insane housing bubble.


Honestly, I'm just trying to be me. Just regular ol' not all that deep me. At the same time, I want to grow into a deeper, more introspective person. Maybe all of the growth and evolution will be obvious in my blogging and my overall self-awareness. Actually, I'm quite aware right now because being 30 is the greatest! I know more about who I am and who I want to be. I'm just having difficulty accepting that I want to be "deep" so that my blogging can be "deep".


For now, I'm just not deep. So, I just have to accept that I'm not one of those deep philosophical types. I can't dig deep to impress upon people about how much trouble African-Americans are in and will be in if things don't change for us. I'm not the one to spit all these historical facts about our history and where we've been so we'll know where we're going.

I just wanna be me while I'm blogging. I'm accepting that. As long as your readers accept it, I'm good. If readers don't, then there's other blogs, aren't there?

No comments: