Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

10.16.2007

I think I like him

I saw him at my desk today. This IT dude walks over to my desk to ask for my assistance. He walks in my cubicle space and says, "I have a need." My heart stops for a second, and I'm sure my face betrayed me having devilish thoughts of fulfilling his need. He says with his easy smile, "It's not that kind of need!" Oh how I wish it were. (I'm so digging it that I had to blog about this immejetly [way beyond immediately].)

I don't know what it is about this dude, but he is so yummy to me. He's smart, funny, quite cute, and just an overall cool dude. He's also a white guy, but that doesn't matter to me. A hot guy is a hot guy. I wonder if I look up at him with lovestruck eyes. I wonder if I told him how hot he is if he would return that same look. I get all warm and fuzzy inside when I'm near him, and I wish I could be close to him a lot.

This all sounds so elementary, but I really dig him. How bold am I to act on it? That I'm not sure of yet, but I'd have to pull him off to the side when it became too much to hold in my heart.

I did that once before in college with this light-skinned pretty-eyed teddy bear of an upperclassmen. I was still a freshman who had not found her inner woman yet. He must have been a junior getting focused on getting out of school and into the real world. Teddy was so adorable, sweet, and just cool. I like my mean meaty, and I surely liked him. Definitely had meat on the bones but not too much. Sometimes, he and I sat at the same huge table to eat dinner with others. Sometimes, I just saw him in the dorm lobby hanging out, and we were always cool.

Teddy had been making my heart skip several beats for a while, and I just couldn't hold back. We were walking back through the residential area through the trees and sidewalk one evening as we did two or three times a week. Fall leaves showed their beautiful colors as they blew in the breeze. They appeared to be shaking like fragile brown, yellow, and orange pom-poms cheering me on and giving me a little hope. I sucked it up, held my breath for a minute, and when I needed air, I blurted out, "I have a confession."

Teddy slowed down and looked at me with some concern. "Speak your mind."

I swallowed hard and finally said, "I like you. I think you're such a nice guy, and you're cute. I just had to let you know that I really like you."

Teddy batted his long lashes behind his glasses, and a smile crept across his warm face. Thanks to his light complexion, I could see a slight blush forming. Maybe he likes me back. Maybe his heart flipped a few times just as mine had done.

Teddy continued smiling as he found the right words: "I'm flattered that you think of me that way."

Oooh.... I had heard that before from my first love, who I was still cool with and was determined to marry after college. (Thank GOD that didn't happen!) Flattery will get you everywhere - except into the flattered person's heart.

"I see you as a friend. I think we'll be better as friends. Besides, I'm seeing someone."

----------

I still don't know if any of that was true because he and I didn't talk as much in my sophomore year. Maybe he really got serious in his senior year. Plus, I did switch to a dorm in the middle of campus with stairs upon stairs but no elevators. Only your real friends visit you when you live in a dorm where you have to take 3 flights of stairs.

His rejection didn't hurt me, but it doesn't make me itch to tell someone else how crazy I am about him. So I honestly don't know if my colleague will ever know how much my heart flip flops for him. *sigh*

No comments: